"At Catherine Wayte School we aim to deliver an inspiring and rigorous teaching approach to Design and Technology as a hands-on practical subject. We strive to ensure that the children are using creativity and imagination in order to design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values.
The children acquire a broad range of subject knowledge and draw on disciplines such as mathematics, science, engineering, computing and art. Pupils learn how to take risks, solve problems, become resourceful and use the environment around them. We encourage the children to evaluate their designs and final products in order to develop a critical understanding of its impact on daily life, wider world and whether it meets the design brief.
The intent of our Design Technology teaching is to deliver a curriculum, which is accessible to all and inspires a passion about practical and inventive learning, whilst developing an evaluative mind-set. The intent of our Design Technology curriculum is to (in conjunction with the National Curriculum) offer opportunities for children to:
- Develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world.
- Build and apply a range of knowledge through designing and making.
- Understand and develop the skills needed in order to design and make high-quality prototypes and products for a wide range of audiences and purposes.
- Become self-reflective learners by being able to critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others.
- Understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook. ''